Friday, July 21, 2017

City Pop-Up Card using Cricut


This card is inspired by my soon to be 11 year old son who loves the Cricut Destination cartridge so much. When I bought this cartridge, I knew he will love it. And, he does! He loves interactive cards, too. So I mashed those two ideas together and came up with this card.

The Cricut Design Space has been updated. It still does not work with Safari but otherwise, the upgrade is great! I am sure I have not discovered all of its features but so far, the feature that I love the most is while the current layer is cutting, I can edit where the image will be cut on the next layer. In this way, I can maximize a cutting mat more and not overuse the top corners of a cutting mat. Isn't that great?! If you have a favorite CDS feature, I would love to know it!


To create the pop-up mechanism, I cut strips of patterned paper & scored it in different widths, from a  1/4" to 1". I overlapped the ends using a strong adhesive to form a square or rectangle. I attached this to the back of the die cut and card panel. I also used square acetate in some areas for more not too obvious support in the pop-up movement. The key to this type of pop-up card is to train the scored squares and rectangles by closing the card shut, and opening it wide, pressing the scored squares rectangles at both times.


The background was splattered with gold Finetec watercolor. The Happy Birthday sentiment is from a Hero Arts Fancy Uppercase Die.


For the front, I die cut a gray cardstock using the scallop border die from American Crafts Daydreamer. I centered a globe stamp from Concord & 9th Map Love stamp set using Versamark ink. I applied Platinum Ranger embossing powder to this. I die cut the globe and a circle window using stacked circle dies from My Favorite Things. To create a flat shaker card, I cut a scrap plastic wrapping to a size big enough to cover the circle window. This gave me a plastic pocket attached only on one side. I used the We R Memory Keepers Fuse tool to secure the other edges after I poured in some Studio Calico sequins. I attached this to the back of the window using a double adhesive tape. This panel is then attached to the front of the card. I used the Altenew Label Love for the front sentiment, stamping it with Versafine Onyx Black ink and heat embossing this using clear powder.


Yrwin loves to play with the Cricut Design Space. I still have this project in my account cloud. He saw it...grrr! I told him it is for a project. He didn't asked further which is good or else the surprise is gone.

Thanks for visiting my blog. Have a blessed and brilliant day!

Maria Giselle B.

I am sharing this creation at


No comments:

Post a Comment