Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Reindeer Spinner Christmas Card



My son asked me to create Christmas cards he can give to his friends.  In my thought, creating an interactive card with a reindeer on it will not only suit the ages of his friends, but may also remind them of my son since his name is a short version of the red nose reindeer.


To create the card, I stamped the reindeer images onto a 60 lb. Neenah white card stock using Memento Tuxedo Black ink. I colored the reindeers using Copic markers. This is the part you may call me crazy but I fuzzy cut the reindeers. Yes, I did! I haven't bought the matching die for the Mama Elephant Reindeer Games stamp set because it is not available at my local craft store and most of the time, I like to try the stamp set first before investing on its matching die. 


I colored the antlers with Clear Wink of Stella. I used a green Copic Spica for the collar. I used Stickles for the nose. And, I used Glossy Accents for the medallion. 

For the card base, I wanted to create a 4-Bar trifold card. I trimmed a white card stock at 4 7/8". Then cut the short end at 10 1/5". I scored this at 3 1/2", then rotated the paper to score the other end at 3 1/2" too. I folded the card at the score lines. After determining which will be the front of the card, I trimmed a small part of the other edge to allow it fold underneath the front panel. 

I die cut a stitched circle on the front. I embossed the front panel of the card using a We R Memory Keepers Next Level embossing folder. For the panel that will lay under the front panel, I created a night sky background. I masked the back portion of the trifold card. I also applied at thin strip of masking tape around the edges of this panel to create a white border around the inked area. I blended 4 Tim Holtz Distress inks (Broken China, Dusty Concord, Faded Jeans, and Black Soot.) 


After the inked background has dried, I powdered the bottom area of the panel where I will heat emboss the sentiment. I used a Hero Arts stamp for the sentiment (not photographed.)  I wanted the sentiment to be curved too in relation to the window circle. I laid the sentiment on a plastic sheet until I got the curve I want. Then, I picked the curved sentiment with an acrylic block. I stamped the sentiment using Versamark ink and poured Wow! Silver Pearl embossing powder to it. I added some droplets to this inked panel by tapping W Plus 9 Shimmer spray to the area. 

For the spinner, I taped a thin silver thread to the back of one of the reindeers. I applied Multi Matte Medium to this, then adhered the mirror image of the reindeer. I place an acrylic block to this and allowed it to dry. I cut a thin white card stock, smaller than a 4-Bar, about 3 3/8" x 4 6/8". This will cover the threads at the back of the front panel. I also die cut a circle onto this. I centered the reindeer on the circle, and taped the ends of the thread on the top and bottom of the back panel. I cut the excess thread, then covered this with the thin white card stock.


Thanks for viewing my blog.

Maria Giselle B.

Supplies used:
Stamp; Mama Elephant Reindeer Games, Hero Arts Holiday Sayings
Die: Simon Stamp Says Stitched Circle

I am submitting this creation to:







1 comment:

  1. What an adorable card project ~ I love the idea of these and they are so pretty! Thank you so much for sharing your project and for playing along with us over on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog... :)

    ReplyDelete